Is your garden furniture looking a bit worse for wear? Or, perhaps it’s simply time to get out with the old and in with the new? Lots of garden seats double up as handy storage spaces and, if you’re wanting to update your outdoor seating, this type of seating may be perfect for you.
Fantastic for storing away outdoor toys, BBQ dining items and more, storage benches are convenient and can be surprisingly comfortable, just as any other outdoor seat too.
Last update on 2020-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images / Pricing from Amazon Product Advertising API
Available in a range of designs, storage benches can be stylish as well as useful. From a contemporary outdoor setting to classic looking seaters, you’re guaranteed to find a complimentary storage bench for your garden in our list below.
Our favourite storage bench is sophisticated, high-quality and affordable too…
Rattan furniture is undeniably on-trend when it comes to both interior and exterior furniture and this storage seating set is popular for a lot of reasons. This rattan-effect piece of furniture is a fantastic option if you’re looking for a storage bench that offers a fashionable design and maximum comfort.
At an affordable price, we love this seating because it has been designed to last. The Keter 2 Seater is made of robust plastic that is excellent quality. You can select from two cushion colours – cream or grey, and sit back, relax and enjoy this bench knowing that your outdoor items are stored away safely inside. Lightweight in design, this piece of furniture requires minimal assembly and can accommodate up to two people.
Having received consistently positive reviews all around, this rattan storage bench is extremely sturdy and comes with a 3-year guarantee too. If you want to invest in an entire set of furniture for your patio or deck, you can also choose to buy the matching chairs to this seater.
- Quality structure making the set robust.
- Affordable and excellent value for money.
- Straightforward to assemble – no fuss with a flatpack set up.
- Contemporary and available in two cushion colours – one of the more attractive storage seaters out there.
- Rattan effect designed using plastic – if you’re looking for genuine rattan furniture this isn’t the seater for you.
- Doesn’t come ready assembled, however, is rated to have an easy set-up. You’ll need to take the time to put this bench together.
This low-priced storage bench is both spacious and sophisticated!
Boasting a classic look, our value pick is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. This seater is padded with a soft cushion that has a removable cover for easy washing. Space underneath is large enough to fit lots of items and is surprisingly roomy given the bench’s size. Composed of acacia hardwood, the seat’s wooden frame is a solid structure guaranteed to last years.
This storage seat is easy to assemble and is resistant to all types of weather when covered properly. While at the budget end of the scale, this piece of furniture doesn’t compromise on quality across all aspects.
If you’ve set yourself a budget but want a seater that won’t compromise on quality, this is definitely a good option. Overall, it’s our value pick not only for its price tag but also its design, structure and of course how it will help you to utilise your garden space, no matter what size area you have.
- Very affordable and fantastic quality.
- Spacious storage area underneath that can be used to protect the seater’s cushion when not in use.
- Can seat up to 3 adults comfortably.
- Includes clear instructions and is easy to assemble.
- The seat’s planks aren’t as thick as some options, meaning care is needed when assembling.
- Screws that come with this bench do the trick, but care is needed again when assembling with a power drill as they aren’t as solid as some units.
A waterproof garden furniture investment that is timelessly classic in design.
If you’re looking for more of a traditional bench design that will still hold up against the elements and provides lots of storage space, this is the right option for you. Combining the practicality of an outdoor storage box with a classic wooden design, this seater is one of the top choices when it comes to this category of outdoor furniture.
Functional and sturdy, the bench has been designed with a boxy design, yet it is sure to complement any outdoor space. Quick to assemble thanks to clear and efficient instructions, you’ll find that each part is top quality. The bench is made using resin which gives it a reinforced, solid structure that won’t rot or decay when up against the weather.
Having been described as great value for money by lots of buyers, we’ve included this seater in our list for a number of reasons – its reasonable price being one of them.
- A traditionally designed piece of garden furniture that will fit nicely with existing outdoor sets.
- Reasonably priced falling into the mid-range category.
- Waterproof due to being made of resin which prevents any rotting or disrepair.
- Space to fit a padlock to close the storage compartment for extra security – great for storing tools with peace of mind.
- Excellent capacity for storage inside when compared with other similar products in the same price range.
- The resin composition may give a ‘cheap’ feel for some – if you’re looking for a traditional wooden piece of furniture, this is not the right option for you.
A simple design that is great for storing outdoor items
Sometimes simplicity is best and this storage box is certainly a great option if that’s what you’re looking for. Ideal for storing gardening tools, cushions and more, this affordable option is also waterproof, keeping your items safe and dry at all times.
Large, sturdy and solid, the Keter Brightwood storage box is made of plastic which acts as an ideal material for this type of outdoor item. With a piston-assisted lid, it’s easy to open and close and it will comfortably seat two adults. This box isn’t a fuss to construct and parts come ready assembled for a quicker set-up.
While the box doesn’t feature a backrest unlike the other options, it boasts a large capacity which means you won’t struggle in the future when it comes to storing away any garden items.
- Offers a great storage compartment with lots of room that is both ventilated and dry at all times.
- Simple design that will complement any garden area.
- Durable and made to last – plastic gives this box a robust structure that is effective against snow and rain.
- Some buyers have reported instructions for assembly being missing.
An obvious choice – a simple bench design that offers great capacity for storage too.
Made of plastic, this bench is one of the best options when it comes to a reliable storage bench for any garden space. Taking just a short time to assemble, we’ve selected this bench for lots of reasons, including its lower price tag. Great to add alongside existing furniture sets, the Keter Eden Storage Bench is a classic colour that will fit nicely into any outdoor space.
Offering generous capacity for storage at 265 litres, this bench can be used for tools, utensils and more. Rainwater won’t get into the bench’s storage compartment and it also offers lots of comfort for sitting too.
The bench comes in a great neutral brown colour, offering a traditional and natural look. It’s a fantastic addition to any garden if you’re lacking the space for a shed but want to store away gardening items.
- Large capacity for storing away items.
- A neutral colour – perfect for any type of garden.
- Rainproof interior to keep belongings dry and secure.
- Rainwater will sit on top of the bench meaning it will need to be wiped from time to time.
- The bench is made of lightweight plastic, some buyers have reported it is not highly durable.
What Can You Store in Outdoor Benches?
Outdoor storage benches are functional but can also look great as seen above, too! You can store lots of different items inside a piece of furniture like this, including tools if you don’t have space for a shed. Most people will use an outdoor bench to store away the cushion used to sit on when not in use as well as utensils for BBQs and outdoor activities/toys that the little ones keep outside during warmer months.
These benches are great options if you’re looking for a 2-in-1 piece. Some storage benches come as parts of whole sets so that you can cleverly create a stylish outdoor seating area whilst doubling the items up as places to store items when not in use.
Here are some of the most common items that people will store in outdoor benches:
- Tools and gardening equipment
- Kid’s toys, games and activities
- Cushions and soft furnishings
- BBQ utensils and tableware for outdoor dining
- Birdfeed, plant fertilizers etc.
Tips To Make The Most Of Your Garden Space
No matter the size of your garden space, there are lots of ways in which you can make it a pleasant retreat for yourself, friends and family. Storage box seating is a great way to make a smaller space more accommodating and practical. The good news is that there are many different styles when it comes to furniture that doubles up as storage spaces – you won’t be left with ugly furniture that doesn’t reflect your personal taste.
If you have a garden that is smaller than average, while investing in buying furniture that also acts as storage space is great, you’ll want to generally create an illusion of a larger area. You can do this in plenty of ways including the following:
- Use plants with warmer colours to add depth.
- Brighten walls using paint.
- Water features are great for creating a focal point for the eye.
- Mirrors work as well outdoors as they do across interiors – they’ll undoubtedly create an enhanced sense of space.
- Use lines and angles to break up different areas of your outdoor space.
On the other hand, if you have a moderate to large-sized outdoor area but the area lacks any real structure in terms of different spaces, there are things that you can easily do.
You may want to think about creating an area that incorporates water. Whether this is a fountain or pond, the environment that surrounds a water body can really create a focal point of interest in a garden. Not only is the sound of flowing water extremely relaxing, but you’ll also likely attract new wildlife too, adding further diversity to your garden.
We’d always recommend variety when it comes to selecting garden plants. Plants and shrubbery can easily help to create different height levels in a garden and can be used to set a ‘theme’. Ferns and wildflowers can create more of a natural look if that’s what you’re going for, and of course, many people choose plants based on their own preferences.
A seating area is not only going to make your garden a welcoming space for guests, but it will also give you much-needed space to relax and unwind.