Today though, technology gives a helping hand to all those fighting to deter pests ethically. Electronic mice repellents are a welcome innovation, keeping mice, rats, and sometimes even insects out of your property.
The only issue is finding a device that really works. Luckily, we’ve done the hard part for you. We’ve found and rated the best electronic mice repellent products in the UK. Check out our top picks below.
Last update on 2020-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images / Pricing from Amazon Product Advertising API
Effective mouse repellent deters rodents and annoying bugs.
This ultrasonic pest repellent by Merryl comes with a host of advantages.
Affordable and effective, it positions itself as a great solution for countryside homes or any homes infested with rodents, snakes or insects.
You just have to plug it into a standard wall socket at a height between 30 and 120 centimetres. Its ultrasonic waves interfere with the auditory and nervous systems of rodents, insects and snakes, keeping them out of your home.
Despite not working well through walls, the device has an excellent coverage of up to 140 square metres.
Furthermore, the wavelength of the sound is imperceptible to humans and other animals, which means the functioning device will not annoy you, your kids or your pets.
• Slim and discreet pest repellent has an energy efficient design.
• Ultrasonic device deters not only rodents but also other pests including snakes, spiders and insects.
• Flashing blue light shows you when the device is operating.
• It may take up to three weeks to notice any results, depending on the volume of infestation.
• Blue light could disturb your sleep if the device is placed in the bedroom.
Another affordable electronic repellent, which doesn’t always live up to expectations.
Another electronic repellent that caught our attention is the M&C Elite model. Visually, it’s similar to our best value pick. It consists of a black case that houses the ultrasonic device and has a nice blue light that flashes when the device is in use.
Utilising ultrasonic technology, this product is designed to deter rodents, spiders, snakes, ants and other pests while not disturbing humans and pets. However, it seems this isn’t the most effective repellent on the market.
Many online users have had a negative experience with this repellent. Others, on the other hand, praised its benefits. Potentially this may mean some units are faulty – it’s difficult to know.
Given the more than attractive price point and money-back guarantee, we believe it’s a worthy investment though. In the end, this pest repellent has a wide coverage and, if it works, it could be the solution you’re looking for.
• M&C Elite covers up to 185 square metres at 360° range and is RoHS and CE certified.
• The device is resistant to humidity and can be used in all areas of your home, including the kitchen and bathroom.
• Ultrasounds affect the nervous and auditory systems of most common pests including mice and rats, insects, snakes and spiders.
• Quality is inconsistent; some devices may work while others have been reported as faulty.Buy Now From Amazon UK
Dual repellent technology does a great job of deterring rodents.
PestBye electronic rat and mice repellent incorporates two technologies in a single device, proving efficient in deterring rodents. However, it is less efficient against insects and other pests.
Since we are judging the product’s ability to deter rodents, we can’t call this a drawback though. As far as mice and rats are involved, the device uses both ultrasound and electromagnetic technology to make your home into an uncomfortable environment for mice.
The ultrasound function works wonders in open spaces, affecting the auditory and nervous system of rodents. Similar to the other products in this list, PestBye emits a high frequency noise, imperceptible to humans and other animals.
The electromagnetic waves also pass through electric wires and create electromagnetic fields throughout the walls, in those places where rodents are likely to nest. These fields create a hostile environment for the pests, and it was proven that rodents are likely to move away from houses where they can’t nest.
• Dual technology not only keeps rodents away from your home, but it also prevents them from nesting in your walls’ cavities.
• One device covers up to 184 square metres; PestBye comes in a set of two.
• Intuitive, easy-to-use design. Just plug it in a standard wall socket and select the desired settings.
• More expensive than other similar options.
• Although intended to be neutral in style, the design is quite unattractive.
Silent yet effective repellent protects your home from rodents and other pests.
Urceri is another electronic repellent that uses a dual technology to deter pests from your home. Similar to PestBye, this device uses both ultrasonic and electromagnetic wave technology and is capable of emitting low-frequency sounds at five wavelengths between 25 and 100 kHz.
You won’t hear the noise, but it will affect rodents, causing them to flee and steer clear from your property.
As well as rodents, such low frequency noise is also disliked by insects and other crawling pests, including spiders and snakes.
Convenient and easy to use, this device is ideal not only for domestic environments but also for restaurants, hotels, warehouses, and other locations where using a mouse trap or poison is not possible or inconvenient. A decent coverage of up to 100 square metres makes one device ideal for a smaller home. For larger properties, it is recommended to plug in a repellent in each room.
• Electromagnetic technology runs through walls and creates electromagnetic fields in those places where rodents are likely to nest.
• Device doubles as a corridor light thanks to the colourful LEDs that indicate it’s active.
• Portable and convenient to use in all environments. It is compatible with standard 3-prong wall outlets.
• Includes a 24-month manufacturer’s warranty.
• Some consumers online have reported that faulty units have stopped working after a few months.Buy Now From Amazon UK
How To Get Rid Of Mice From Your Home
No matter how cute a pet rodent can be, wild mice and rats can bring serious problems. They typically hide in sewers, but colder weather could easily cause them to seek refuge in your warm home. Here’s how to get rid of them:
1. Rodent-Proof Your Home
Prevention is a key step in deterring mice and rats. Rodents can easily find a way into your home through any cracks or holes in the walls. Seal every entry point in your walls or around your home’s foundation. Pay particular attention to sealing any holes between walls and vents or utility pipes.
2. Use Baits and Mouse Traps
Standard mouse catching options work wonders. Mouse traps come in a wide range of styles, from traditional wooden models to traps that won’t kill the animal. Baits consist of food impregnated with poison. Regardless of the preferred method, you will still have to handle either live mice or dead mice once caught.
3. Use Electronic Mice Repellents
Electronic mice repellents are devices that plug into a standard outlet and emit low-frequency sounds that affect the auditory and nervous system of rodents, causing them to steer clear of your home. Since rodents are not killed or trapped, you won’t have to deal with the creatures. However, such a device may be insufficient if you’re dealing with a large infestation.
4. Keep Your Home Clean
Rodents are not picky eaters, they nourish on anything edible. Their daily needs are also low, and a few grams of food goes a long way. In other words, those crumbs on the floor or worktop are an abundant source of nutrients for any rodent housemates. A sure way to get rid of mice is to keep them hungry by regularly sweeping your floors and wiping your worktop and table.
5. Restrict Access to Food
Keeping your food supply away from pesky mice is also essential. Rodents can chew through pretty much anything, including wooden cupboards. A sure way to keeping them at a distance from your food is by storing it in glass or airtight containers.
6. Get a Cat
Cats come with a host of benefits. Not only they deter mice naturally, they can also help you soothe after a hard day at work. Obviously not all cats catch mice, but rodents can typically sense the presence of a feline and tend to stay away from their territory.
7. Mind Your Landscape
Mice like to nest in piles, so keeping your landscape clean is also important. Leaving dead leaves scattered throughout your backyard in autumn could attract rodents, and those rodents could move indoors when the temperature drops. Manicure your shrubs and branches too and stack firewood at least 5 metres away from the house. Rodents are clever creatures and once they get into a home, they are hard to deter. Prevention is the first step, but if they do invade your house, combine the tips above to get rid of them forever.